Sunday, May 5, 2013

Native Youth


As I was perusing the Indian Media Network I came across this article:


 

If it is one thing I know about cultural movements is that youth is responsible for the survivance of a people.


You could imagine how I felt, when I read about a group of Youths petitioning for recognition that their ancestors were the first inhabitants of Manhattan.  According to this article, The Native Youth Council at Columbia University was going to hold a pow wow in honor of reclaiming their own history.  Instead, they decided to petition the University to create a plaque that would honor Native history.


A plaque won’t give back to Natives all that they have lost, but the very fact that Native youth are becoming heard is a major step in the right direction.  It would seem that Native youth is starting to find its voice—even though this plaque is more of a separatist movement I think Lyons would call it an act of making an X mark. 


I think it is extremely important for Youth to be involved in promoting cultural history because they represent the future of all people in any nation, culture, or body of people. 

 

Power be to the youth!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment